Step 4: DICAS Application Instructions
The Utah State University Dietetic Internship accepts applications completed using the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System known as DICAS. The DICAS part of the application process is completed entirely online. On this page you will find general instructions for DICAS as well as instructions that are specific to the USU DI. DICAS will not open for the spring match until December 2020.
The fee for DICAS is $50 for the first application and $25 for each application after. Please follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you submit a complete application.
The following list outlines the information that you need to enter into the DICAS application:
1. Create an account at http://portal.dicas.org
- Enter your information including contact, personal, and any other background information requested.
2. Education Information
- Request official transcripts to be sent to DICAS. Follow the instructions on the DICAS portal to submit transcripts. This should be done several weeks before submitting your application.
- The USU DI does not require GRE or TOEFL scores.
3. DPD Information
- Enter your DPD Director's contact information into DICAS
- Your Director will submit a DPD Verification Statement or Declaration of Intent prior to you submitting your application.
- Upload a copy of your DPD course list. Your DPD Director will provide you with a copy of the course list.
4. Awards, Work Experience, and Volunteer Activities
- Approximately 400 work/volunteer hours are required for the USU DI. Refer to the Work and Volunteer Experience document for guidelines.
- Describe your work and volunteer experiences in detail. If it isn't on your application, it will not be considered toward the required hours during application review.
5. Personal Statement
- Compose your personal statement in a word processing program, review and edit, then cut and paste your statement into DICAS. The personal statement is limited to 1000 words.
- The USU DI recommends you prepare this statement in advance and ask for input from your DPD professors or colleagues. Your personal statement should be written in essay form.
- Address the following items in your USU DI personal statement:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for a career in dietetics.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection process?
- The USU DI is specifically looking for:
- Why do you want to complete your dietetic internship through Utah State University?
6. Upload Resume
- Upload your resume into DICAS as a PDF.
- Enter the contact information for your three (3) references.
- You will need the following types of references:
- A professor who is familiar with your academic work
- An employer from a time when you worked in a dietetics related job. It does not have to be your current employer
- Your preference
- Choose references who know your commitment to dietetics and who can refer to your skills, education, and performance in the field. The USU DI may call references for clarification of comments and may also contact your DPD Director. It is not inappropriate to ask a reference if they feel they can give you a good recommendation, if they can't it may prevent you from receiving a poor reference on your application.
8. Application Certification
- Check the appropriate boxes in DICAS and sign.
9. Program Designations
- Select Utah State University--Salt Lake from the designation list.
- Select the Personal Statement you wrote for the USU DI.
10. Submit your DICAS Application by February 15th, 2021
- DICAS and the USU DI are not available over the weekend or holidays for questions.
- If you are applying in pre-select, your DICAS application is due Sunday, January 3, 2021 by 11:59 PM. All other applications are due by February 15th.
IMPORTANT! Make sure you have entered all of the required information, uploaded the required documents, and included the correct contact information for your references BEFORE you submit your application. After you have submitted your application it is LOCKED and you will not be able to edit or add to your application.
|← Step 3: Finding Preceptors||Step 5: D&D Digital Instructions →|