Step 4: DICAS Application Instructions
The Utah State University Dietetic Internship accepts applications completed using the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System known as DICAS. This part of the application process is completed entirely online. This page includes general instructions for DICAS and instructions that are specific to the USU DI. DICAS will not open for the spring match until December 2018.
The fee for DICAS is $45 for the first application and $20 for each application after. Please follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you submit a complete application.
The following list outlines the information that you need to enter into the DICAS application:
Create an account at http://portal.dicas.org
Provide applicant information including contact information, personal information, background information.
- Arrange for official transcripts to be sent to DICAS. The DICAS website will provide instructions on how to do this. This should be done several weeks before submitting your application.
DPD Program information
- Enter your DPD Director's contact information into DICAS.
- Your director will submit a DPD Verification Statement or Declaration of Intent prior to submitting your application.
- Upload a copy of your DPD Course List Form. Your DPD Director will provide you with a copy of the course list to submit with your application.
Awards, Work Experience and Volunteer Activities:
- A minimum of 400 work/volunteer hours are required for the USU DI program. Please review USU DI guidelines on what Work and Volunteer Experience will qualify.
- Compose your personal statement in a word processing program, review and edit, then cut and paste your statement into DICAS. The personal statement is limited to 1000 words.
- The USU DI recommends you prepare this statement in advance and ask for input from your DPD professors or colleagues. Your personal statement should be written in essay form.
- Address the following items in your USU DI personal statement:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for a career in dietetics.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection process?
- The USU DI is specifically looking for:
- Why do you want to be considered for the USU Dietetic Internship?
- Describe your interest in school food service systems management and child nutrition programs.
- Upload this into DICAS as a pdf.
- Enter the contact information for your three (3) references.
- You will need the following types of references:
- One reference should be from a professor who is familiar with your academic work.
- One reference should be from an employer from a time when you worked in a dietetics related job. It does not have to be your current employer.
- One reference can be your preference.
- Choose references who know your commitment to dietetics and who can refer to your skills, education, and performance in the field. The USU DI may call references for clarification of comments and may also contact your DPD Director. It is not inappropriate to ask a reference if they feel they can give you a good recommendation and may prevent you from receiving a poor reference on your application.
- Check the appropriate boxes in DICAS and sign.
- Designate Utah State University--Salt Lake.
- Specify the personal statement you have uploaded is for the USU DI.
Submit your DICAS Application by February 15th, 2019
- Please keep in mind that DICAS and the USU DI are not available on the weekend or on holidays for troubleshooting submission issues or other questions. Plan accordingly.
- If you are applying through the pre-select process your DICAS application is due Friday, January 4, 2019 by 11:59 PM. All other applications are due February 15th.
IMPORTANT! Make sure you have entered all of the required information, uploaded the required documents (including the DPD Course List), and included the correct contact information for your references BEFORE you submit your application. After you have submitted your application it is LOCKED and you will not be able to edit or add to your application.
|← Step 3: Finding Preceptors||Step 5: D&D Digital Instructions →|